If you will check architecture accounts in Pinterest and Instagram, you will find that a lot of the small homes they feature are granny flats. Australia builders claim that there’s a great amount of interest in these smaller options for homes ever since the global economic recession came about. People like the idea of having a home to their name, no matter how small it is, that also will allow them to manage their finances really well.
Apart from the cost-effectiveness of small granny flats, builders claim that there are still many other advantages or benefits to choosing these cosy structures. Six of them are listed below.
- They’re easier to maintain – Cleaning will not be as big of a production because you only have a small space to tackle. If you successfully avoid accumulating stuff to fill your home, then cleaning becomes much more of a breeze.
- They’re “green” – First of all, the structure requires fewer materials, and with the limited activities that you can carry out in a small space, you get to reduce your energy consumption as well. You can count that small scale living will minimise your carbon footprint.
- You learn to make do or do without – Due to the limited amount of space, you will learn to settle with whatever you already have that works for your living conditions and do away with excesses such as fancy collections that really would just be tucked away if you cannot come up with a clever way to display them.
- It inspires creativity – You will find yourself concocting all sorts of solutions to outwork the limitations of small space. When you think of adding something to the original design of the home to increase functionality, it’s likely that you don’t just come up with a single “use” out of it – you become fixated on how to get more out of it.
- It can rekindle the joy of togetherness – Smaller homes easily bring people closer together, and not just in a physical sense. You’ll find family members gathered in one area and communication lines open instantly.
- Granny flats are perfect for older members of the family that have mobility restrictions – If you’re taking care of your Nana or Pop, it will be so much easier to know when they need you. No need for an intercom or some other communication gadget because their voice will easily carry inside the house.